Friday, July 10, 2020

The Thames Path: day 4

Day 4
Laleham - Windsor

18.36km / 11.41 miles
3:49:12
1,036 calories
Cumulative total: 94.19km / 58.54 miles



When I originally started planning this walk, today was going to be my long day. However Covid-19 stuck its ugly head in the spokes and derailed things, due to the campsites based at the locks along the river all being closed, and the commercial campsite nearest Windsor also being closed due to M4 widening works on their land (I know, right?).

Instead, today was my shortest day of the walk and rather than staying in a campsite or hotel I'm back at home in Putney. Simply, it was cheaper and simpler to get the 45 minute train home from Windsor than find somewhere to stay in the campsite desert that currently exists in this bit of the walk. In some ways it's good: I have a social thing tonight it'll be nice to go to and it's meant I could wash my clothes and repack my bag a bit,  but it does feel a tad weird.

Anyway, I slept pretty well last night. My genius idea of using my empty bag as a pillow/head support worked wonders and I only woke up a few times in the night for a matter of minutes each time, which for a first night camping for me is excellent. Normally I can't get to sleep and then spend half the night lying awake. When I woke up properly it was raining, so I lay in bed for a bit until it stopped around 8am, and then started getting up.

Packing up camp when the grass and your flysheet is wet is a bit of a faff but I got there in the end, secure in the knowledge I could at least dry my tent this afternoon at home. I was on the path again by about 9.30am, and it was a nice sunny morning. It was a lot less muggy today now the rain has passed over, and occasionally in the breeze I was even slightly chilly.

Another lovely lock house

It was a nice 5km to Staines, and then the path crossed the river and moved back to the south bank. The section to Runnymede was a nice bit of path; it's a shame about the motorway noise which gets louder and louder as you approach the motorway bridges and then dissipates again. After that, there was a lovely section around the corner to Runnymede with gorgeous flat water and green green grass. I paused to look at the statue of Queen Elizabeth II at the 800th anniversary of the Magna Carta site.

Unfortunately the next bit is somewhat spoiled by the road running between Old Windsor and Staines, which I've cycled numerous times. It's pretty close to the path and it's busy, so the traffic just kept roaring past. Nevertheless I crossed over to have a look at 'The Jurors', a sculpture of 12 bronze chairs by Hew Locke which stands in the meadow at Runnymede. It's an effective piece of art - each chair represents a key moment in the fight for freedom, apparently. I liked it.



Past Runnymede the path cuts away from the road and along a really nice stretch with some of the nicest houses so far. There was one stunning place in particular, raised up, with several boats moored in front, that I coveted. There were also plenty of dog walkers, and a couple on a barge having a discussion about whether they could step off the barge and on to the bank. The man thought this was possible. The woman disagreed (I was with her, it was a big step).

At Old Windsor Lock I'd done 12km so stopped for a sit down and to watch a beautiful barge go through the lock. When I stood up again everything hurt, which was a touch concerning, although it all loosened up once more after a short while. My main achy bits are actually my hips, as I can't seem to get the waist straps of my rucksack sitting quite right and despite the padding they're digging in a bit. I'm going to fiddle again with it before tomorrow.

You can't walk along the bank on the right, but it looks nice!
Near Datchet you have to cross the river once more, because Windsor Home Park is closed to the public. This bit was my least favourite bit of the day, with a stretch on the pavement by the road and no sight of the river for a couple of kilometres. It was nice when the path became a path once more, and then crossed back across the river with a lovely view of Windsor Castle. I stopped my watch on the bridge to Eton, where I'll start it again in the morning. Tomorrow is the longest day of the walk, with a campsite in Hurley my destination, but hopefully a good sleep in my own bed and the bath I had when I got home will give me the required energy!

No comments:

Post a Comment