Saturday, July 11, 2020

The Thames Path: day 5

Day 5
Windsor - Hurley
28.68km / 17.82 miles
5:55:57
1,652 calories
Cumulative total: 122.83km / 76.36 miles



So today wasn't quite as far as I thought it was going to be - I must have made a mistake in my route calculation originally. Nevertheless, it was a long old way with my bag at its heaviest: possibly too heavy, although the only luxuries I'm carrying are my tablet computer and a power pack for it in case something work-related comes up over the next week, and for the rowing club AGM on Wednesday. Neither are really that heavy and most of the weight is really food!

However, it was a lovely walk today, with very few boring bits and lots of gorgeous scenery. The river upstream of Windsor is green and blue, running gently down towards London in between the locks where it speeds up. There are plenty of locks and there was plenty of traffic going through the locks today, and plenty of traffic on the bank too on a sunny summer's Saturday. At times, almost too many people, especially between Cookham and Marlow where the banks were busy with walkers and people picnicking, swimming or kayaking. Inflatable stand-up paddleboards and kayaks are definitely the must-have accessory this year.



I made good time to Maidenhead, through the 'Sounding Arch' of the town's railway bridge built by Brunel. Apparently it's a unique bridge due to the width and shape of the arches. I stopped for an hour to have a coffee and catch-up at the home of some rowing friends, Karon and Peter, which was lovely. A mere 4km down the road I got lunch in the gorgeous little village of Cookham and ate it after passing through the old churchyard in the village.

Cookham church
Then it was on along with the hordes to Bourne End, crossing the railway bridge, and along the north bank to Marlow, where I grabbed an ice-cream and checked how far it was to go. I knew the shop in Hurley closed at 5pm and wanted a few extra dinner supplies!

Bourne End

Hurley Lock was the last landmark - originally one of the places I wanted to stay, but closed currently. The non-camping areas were nevertheless packed with people. It would have been a nice place to stay I think.

Instead, I'm at a huge campsite which is almost full. There's lots of space between pitches and people seem to be good about social distancing. That's something that's been varied on the path. A few have gone to exaggerated lengths to squeeze into the vegetation to leave a massive gap between us. Others clearly don't care. One lady was wearing a mask under her nose: literally pointless.

Anyway, my supper is on the stove and then I'm going to have a shower and collapse. Tomorrow it's on to Reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment