Tuesday, July 14, 2020

The Thames Path: day 8

Day 8
Streatley - Clifton Hampden
23.66km / 14.71miles
5:06:22
1,453 calories
Cumulative total: 190.39km / 118.35 miles 

I'm writing this sitting with my feet in the Thames at my delightful campsite by the bridge in the village of Clifton Hampden, downstream of Abingdon. It's a bit chilly but soothing on tired tootsies!

Yesterday's shorter day and longer rest paid off and my legs felt pretty good today until the last couple of kilometres. The final 6 or 7km today were mostly on grass through fields, which I've decided is my least-favourite surface to walk on. It's a bit like walking on sand - not always level, and just a bit too soft. The path has every possible surface but the most common is compacted dirt, which is fine; gravel is nice too.

The walk from Streatley to Wallingford was fairly nice save for the detour at Moulsford, past the prep school grounds there, which wasn't very well signposted. But it was good to see Moulsford railway bridge as that was where we used to aim for when we rowed out of Wallingford at college, and the next stretch kept bringing back memories of training on what is a really lovely bit of river.

I faffed around in Wallingford for a while, buying lunch and some dressings which I hope will stop the rubbing around my waist getting worse - it's manageable, but I think some padding is sensible. Then I had lunch by the bridge ahead of attacking the second part of the day.

The first bit to Shillingford was nice, and I had a pleasant chat with a couple who wanted to know how far I was walking. They too had escaped from London for a few days and were enjoying some day walks.

At Shillingford the path diverts from the river again. First on a footpath, which was fine but I think I missed a sign somewhere and took a parallel route to the Thames Path proper; then, for about a kilometre, along the very busy A404. I was extremely grateful when that bit ended and it's officially my least-favourite section so far, trumping the detour in Datchet! 

Back on the path it was a tromp through a field until Days Lock, another place I'd considered camping had it been open. I was counting on there being a bench for a rest and snack but no bench was accessible - luckily there was a quiet patch by the river instead. Then it was less than an hour to the day's end and a friendly welcome at the campsite.

Tomorrow: on to Oxford!

[NB: Can't get today's track on Strava - I think due to poor data connection - will try tomorrow!]

No comments:

Post a Comment